Monday, September 8, 2008

Oats Pongal!

In a pensive mood after a considerably long and refreshing vacation at a few of the East Coast spotlights, I have not been spending much time in the kitchen this past week. One would expect to be in brighter spirits after a trip of that sorts, but the darned tasks that I had blissfully abandoned before I left, have been daunting me ever since the flight touched down in San Francisco last week. As soon as the pilot announced - "The South West crew would like to welcome you to San Francisco and at this time, we request you to remain in your seats until the seat belt sign is turned off", I closed my eyes and tried not to think of the doom that lied in wait for me. On the car ride back home, we stopped for dinner at Saravanaa's (a South Indian restaurant which is a branch of Saravana Bhavan in India) along with Ashwin who had come to get us. The food was comforting as always and I stuck to eating Rava Idlis with a few mouthfuls of their excellent curd rice. At the end of a trip, I find myself almost always craving for simple home food. Hot rasam with rice followed by curd rice with oil-free pickles like the tiny mangoes' one (maavadu) or the dried lemon one (naarthanga) continue to top the lists. (The chennai-ite in me is still alive and kicking, I note!) In a futile attempt to delay the demise of our trip, we tried to prolong the dinner by punctuating it with a lot of forced conversation. But the parents were tired and I caught them furtively (and longingly) looking towards the exit more than once. Out of pity for them and poor Ashwin as well, who had kindly driven all the way to the airport right out of work, we finally signaled to the waiter to bring us the check. At thirty past nine in the night, we reached home. Scanning through my mental Outlook Calendar, I figured I had to do at least a teeny bit of unpacking, xxx, xxxxwww and yyyzzz but instead, all I managed was to sit around dumbly staring at some TBS show before taking an extra-long hot shower. A few minutes later, I was curled up in bed reading A Thousand Splendid Suns. (Was I in reverse-denial?) I slept fitfully that night and woke up to the sounds of the countless chores buzzing around in my head. I started running around trying to complete all of them at once and here I am, a week later still an avid participant in the mad rat-race!
In the same context, here is something that I read on one of my favorite blogs - a true masterpiece, this post is! With reference to the same post, I am still waiting for the un-invited Sunday evening guy to leave. May be this weekend, he'll pack his bags and bid farewell...I hope so...I would so love that!
Since I have been harried with all those unfavorable thoughts all week, eating healthful and quick-to-make dishes has gained a lot of priority. One such dish which has not disappointed me so far is Oats Pongal - guilt-free and wholesome, it tastes just fine without any dipping! If I were to describe pongal in a single sentence I would say - it is a first cousin of moong dal ki kichdi. I made it this crazy week too when I had no interest whatsoever in cooking! It's been a regular in the basil household since the past year or so after I came up with the idea (of dressing up oatmeal the gratifying pongal way) in my quest for a healthy but delicious dish. Now, it also serves as my pretext to sneak oats into Vee's diet as he cannot stand a steaming bowl of plain oatmeal with milk and fruit. This is off to Suganya's JFI - Whole grains.

Oats Pongal - oatmeal with lentils.

Without further ado, here is the recipe -

Ingredients -
1) Steel-cut Oats - 3/4th cup
2) Green gram dal (moong dal) - 1/3rd cup
3) Ginger - 1" piece
4) Cumin seeds - 1.5 tspns
5) Black peppercorns - 1 tspn
6) Curry leaves - few
7) Oil - 1.5 tspns
8) Ghee - 1 tspn
9) Asafetida - a generous heap
10) Salt - to taste
11) Cashew nuts - 1 tbspn (broken)

Method -
1) Rinse the dal and dunk it in a pressure cooker along with the oats. Add about 3.5 cups of water.
2) Grate the ginger and stir in half of it in the pressure cooker. Also add in 1/2 a teaspoon of cumin seeds along with salt (to taste) and pressure cook for 12-15 minutes or 4-5 whistles. (The cooking time can vary with the cooker. If not done properly, add about 1/2 a cup of water and pressure cook again until done well.)
3) Take the remaining cumin seeds and peppercorns and give them a quick run in the blender. I generally prefer a very coarse powder in my pongal. However, this step could be modified to suit your palate by making it into a fine powder or omitting the grinding altogether.
4) In a small pan, heat the oil and ghee together. Put the cumin and peppercorn mixture and after that turns crisp, toss the ginger, curry leaves, asafetida and cashew nuts. Everything should fry well but take care so it doesn't get charred .
5) Pour over the cooked oats and dal mixture and mix well.
6) Serve piping hot with nothing or coconut chutney!

7 comments:

Radhika said...

I love your recipes. They are truly creative. Plus, I love the write-ups preceding the recipe. Gives me a glimpse into your life as well.

Will try the oats pongal. Anil and Sahaana both love oats.

bonziegal said...

Hey Radhika! Thx for commenting. I'm thrilled you like those write-ups! :) Sahaana and Anil liking oats came as a big surprise 'coz everyone I know doesn't really care much for it. It was an ordeal getting Anu to start having oats too! ;) BTW, remember to use steel-cut oats whenever you get a chance to try making it pongal-style.

paloma said...

Hey nice recipe didi..do give some oven made recipes too..i've been followin all ur posts and after i finish reading ur post and write ups i'm almost at loss of words to write up a comment :) atlast i made it..

Radhika said...

Yes Bonita, that is the norm. That is replying to the comments on your own blog. The last few weeks have been really crazy with Anil traveling most of the time - and hence haven't had a chance to reply to your comments.

Are you on Facebook?

bonziegal said...

Hey Vins! That was so very nice of you to leave a comment or rather a sweet compliment! I'm elated you've been following the recipes. I will post oven-baked dishes too. Thanks for the idea! :)

Sindhu said...

Next post please!!! You're not allowed to cook away without sharing.. :)

Radhika said...

Waiting for the next post. Curious to know what is cooking in your kitchen for Deepavali. On the same note, Happy Deepavali! May the festival of lights bring you joy, happiness and prosperity!